Utah is a no-fault state, and every motor vehicle driver must carry auto insurance. Non-residents who use a vehicle in the state for part of the year must also have a minimum amount of auto insurance.

If you get injured in a car accident in Utah, you will likely need to file a claim with your auto insurance policy. Utah’s state laws protect its citizens through mandatory minimum coverage limits and a no-fault system that pays claims up to a certain amount.

Utah’s Minimum Auto Insurance Requirements: How Much Do I Need?

The state requires at least $3,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) coverage for no-fault insurance. You must also carry the following minimum amounts for your auto insurance policy:

  • $25,000 in bodily injury liability coverage per person
  • $65,000 for two or more people in bodily injury liability
  • $15,000 for property damage liability

Your insurance policy shows these numbers as 25/65/15. All passenger vehicles, including cars and trucks, must have auto insurance throughout the vehicle’s registration period if the vehicles’ owners and operators are Utah residents. In addition, auto insurance is required if the vehicle’s owner and operator is a non-resident of the state who has operated a vehicle in Utah for 90 days in the past 365 days.

What to Know When You File a Claim With the Other Driver’s Insurance Company

In Utah, you typically file a first-party claim with your own insurance company before you can file a claim against the other driver’s insurance company. Your PIP covers the first $3,000 in medical expenses for your bodily injuries.

Under one or more of the following circumstances, you may file a claim against the at-fault driver and their insurance company:

  • Excess of $3,000 in medical bills
  • Dismemberment
  • Permanent disability
  • Bone fracture
  • Permanent impairment

According to Utah law, when you file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company, you need to show that you have the minimum insurance policy as well. The process of filing a claim with their insurance company can look like this:

  • Investigation of Your Claim: The insurance company investigates your claim and the accident. To establish liability, you must provide as much information as possible to help with your claim, such as repair estimates, photos and videos of the accident scene, and police reports.
  • Settlement Offer: The insurance company offers a settlement if the other driver is proven to be entirely liable for your injuries and damages.
  • Medical Care: The insurance company may not settle your claim unless you have completed the required medical treatment for your injuries. You may have to wait to settle your claim if you have extensive injuries and need ongoing medical care. A car accident lawyer can help you estimate the cost of future medical treatments to include in your settlement.
  • Release of Damages: When the insurance company agrees to a
    settlement, they need you to sign a release of damages. Signing this release means you agree to the settlement and will not pursue any other compensation for your accident.

How Is Liability Established in Utah?

Utah follows a modified comparative negligence law, meaning more than one person can be liable for an accident. If you’re less than 50% at fault for the accident, you may collect damages. However, your settlement may be decreased according to your percentage of liability.

For example, if the other driver is 70% at fault and you are 30% at fault, you may collect for your damages since your liability is less than 50%. However, the other driver’s insurance company may offer to cover only 70% of your damages.

A car accident lawyer can help you file a claim since you may receive a settlement offer that is less than what you need to cover your injuries. An experienced lawyer knows how to negotiate with insurance companies and help you get the maximum compensation.

The Other Driver’s Insurance Company Denied My Claim. What Should I Do?

If the other driver’s insurance company denies your claim, you can sue the other driver in small claims court if your damages are less than $15,000. A jury or judge can decide who is liable for an accident and the amount of damages available.

Utah car accident lawyers at Great West Injury Law can help you if your insurance claim is rejected and you want to take next steps. With our knowledge of Utah’s no-fault law, we can compile the documentation needed for your claim and present a strong case on your behalf.

Contact Our Auto Accident Lawyers Now

If you suffer injuries due to another driver’s negligence, you deserve compensation for your medical expenses and emotional distress. Attorneys at Great West Injury Law can help you seek damages and support you through the legal process while you focus on your recovery.

Call us today to schedule a free initial consultation or fill out our online form and learn your next steps. With our No Fee Guarantee®, you can rest assured that our skilled car accident lawyers will work hard on your case to help you win a fair settlement.

Originally published May 2, 2022.