Originally published February 21, 2022.
The decision to hire a lawyer when you’re injured is probably one of the most important decisions you’ll make for your case. In many ways, the future of your claim depends on your choice. Determining which firm to trust with your case should be based on thorough research and a personal connection. Your lawyer should be someone with confidence and experience, but also someone you can trust and build a mutually respectful relationship with.
Write Down All of Your Questions Before Meeting with A Law Firm
Before you meet with a lawyer, you need to determine what qualities are most important to you for the person who will represent your claim, such as knowledge and experience, professional process, and personality. Write down all the questions you want to ask that will confirm whether or not this lawyer is the right fit for you.
The answers to questions about the firm’s core values, how to contact your lawyer when you need something, and who else will be involved in your case, for example, can give you a sense of the firm’s communication style and level of accessibility.
But to get to the heart of a firm’s experience, credentials, and reliability, our team wants to share questions we think all accident victims should ask before hiring a lawyer.
Top 5 Questions to Ask to Help You with Your Decision
- “What is your experience with cases similar to mine?” This question is crucial as it helps you gauge the lawyer’s familiarity with cases like yours. By asking about their experience, you can determine if they have successfully handled similar cases in the past, which indicates their ability to navigate the complexities of your situation and can help increase your confidence in their expertise.
- “Have you handled cases in the courtroom?” Understanding whether your potential lawyer has courtroom experience is vital because some personal injury cases may require litigation. If your case can’t be settled through negotiation and ends up in court, you want an attorney who is comfortable and skilled in the courtroom setting.
- “How much will I be charged for your services and when?” Knowing the cost and payment structure upfront allows you to evaluate whether the fees align with your budget and expectations. Additionally, it helps you avoid any surprises or misunderstandings regarding billing. Great West Law uses a contingency fee, which means you never pay unless you get money.
- “What percentage of your cases have had a successful outcome?” Inquiring about the lawyer’s success rate provides insight into their track record and the likelihood of achieving a favorable outcome in your case.
- “How long have you practiced personal injury law?” Understanding the attorney’s experience in personal injury law is important because it indicates their level of expertise and familiarity with the intricacies of these types of cases. Some lawyers start in a different area of law before moving into personal injury law. A lawyer who has practiced personal injury law for an extended period has likely accumulated knowledge, strategies, and insights that can benefit your case.
Listen Closely and Take Notes
Listening to every answer and taking notes is important. This way, you can compare the lawyers and law firms you meet and make a well-informed choice. Don’t be afraid to ask for clarification when you don’t understand something, and if you think of other questions, speak up.
Remember, choosing a lawyer is an important decision that may affect the outcome of your case. Although it’s imperative to get help immediately following your accident, make sure you take the necessary time to get to know the lawyer you hire.
A free consultation should be like a job interview for the firm. Taking this time to ask all the relevant questions you have before you decide to move forward is something you should feel comfortable doing. Depending on the complexity of your case, you may have an ongoing relationship with the law firm for weeks, months, or even years. Make sure you hire a law firm that has your confidence and your respect.
Find Out How Great West Injury Law Can Help with Your Case
At Great West Injury Law, we believe you owe it to yourself to leave no stone unturned before deciding which firm to hire. That’s why we welcome every person who calls us to ask as many questions as needed to determine their compatibility with our firm and our lawyers.
We know just how critical it is to your peace of mind and your livelihood to make the right decision for your claim. Reach out to our team today for a free consultation. We’d love to help make this decision easier for you and get you on the path to maximum compensation for your injuries.